Sunday, November 28, 2010

Keep the Faith

There are some good tips in here, but they are woven into this little drama.

Well, after The I.T. man was done with my computer after it might have been infected,
 I was ready once again to sit down to tackle that bulb blurb.
I tried to go to the document I had been working on
for so many days, and agonizing over for so many hours.
There was no such file with anything like the title I had saved it under.
(of course the title name was completely unrelated. It was the first sentence of the document, which it is automatically named if you don't change it)
 In fact there were hardly any documents on my computer when I looked for them.

Okay, I said to myself, don't panic. Things have been moved around
The I.T. man has left his mark. He puts things back the proper way.
He is organized. I am not. He is always telling me, I should organize everything
so I can find them again.
I always say..."You are right. I will tomorrow. I have no time to organize it right now."

Okay, I take a deep breath.
I am smart. I will figure this out.
He taught me about the search file and program box.
I will go there and start typing.
So I type night......nothing shows up that looks like that file.
I type time.......nothing again that looks like that file.
My title was called something like "I had some time to write tonight."
of course unrelated to bulbs..but I knew what it was called.

Okay, time to panic..
I was remembering the conversation that night.
He asked if he could delete my temporary files.
I hesitated........"hmmm are you sure stuff won't get deleted that I might want or need?"

He said,.,,,,"Maybe some browsing history might. Are you okay with that?"

"Hmmm, well.....YOU KNOW BEST",  as I trembled iniside.

Did he really know best?

I decided to call him on the phone.
He was taking a nice brisk walk to mail some letters on a freezing windy morning.
I stayed behind because I needed to get this bulb blurb done.

"MY DOCUMENTS ARE GONE, in particular the
BULB ONE, the one I have spent so much time on.
Maybe you killed them when you deleted my temp files...
or the virus ate them up.
You did the backup before you started deleting the temp files..... right?"

He said...."Don't worry, they are not gone. Did you do a search for them?"

Yes I did...and NOTHING...and there are maybe only three documents left on my entire
Windows 7 section. Do you think they jumped to the XP section ?
( a very far fetched crazy hopeful answer).

He says "Don't worry. I will check it out. I am almost there."

I say "Okay" meekly, knowing I was being impatient and not very considerate and I should have let him come back to the office  first before asking him very calmly.

He came in the office a few minutes later
and tried to also search for them
and doubted I remembered the title correctly.
It was still not there.

He asked me how I tried to find it in the first place.

I showed him how I opened up Word, and usually my most recent documents were sitting
there ready for me to grab and they had disappeared and they totally vanished from that folder.
They were gone..gone..gone..gone gone....

He looked where I showed him
and then did something magical and suddenly they appeared again.

"What did you do? They were not there before. I know it. I am not completely crazy"

He showed me why they had not been visible.
When I went to open word...the only file types that were selected
to open were word 97-2003 templates (*.dot).

He changed them to all files *.* and volia.

It is almost always about a setting.

"Well how should I know that the file types would change on me?
How should I know to check that?
It wasn't like that before you touched it."

and now they were searchable (not sure a word) in that search file and program box.
This is something, I didn't expect either. I thought any file was serachable. I still have to check this out. It must be a setting. I better check that.

"Okay, I am sorry.
I knew you would figure it out.
I have faith it will always turn out well.
Thank you so much for helping me.
You are right once again.
They didn't get deleted....but.....
You changed things..".

It is almost always about a setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment