Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Blast from The Past- well not for everyone but you might still be curious.

Well it was after hours in the office last night and I was suggesting it would be so nice to have an old fashioned TV that is so easy to use.
You just turn the dial and that is it!
This was in response  to The Man from the Office's irritation with the sound cutting out (anytime it wants to) from the Entertainment Centre.

This triggered him to tell me about the TV tubes that you took to the drugstore and had them tested there. I looked at him rather blankly and had no idea what he was talking about. 
I said "you mean the picture tube in the TV?"
He said no..and methodically explained it to me, the entire procedure and what the stand looked like in the drugstore etc..... 
I was pretty curious because I thought he must be dreaming and so I suggested I would google it.

First I googled TV tubes and could only come up with info about Picture tubes of TVs.

I decided to search for TV tubes under images.
"There they are" he excitedly pointed them out to me.
Here is the photo of what The Office man was talking about.

I clicked on that photo  and it took me to a site that defined them as vacuum tubes..

Aha so now we had the correct name for them and yes they did exist after all, but this part about testing them at the drug store....hmm.
 I  googled did drug stores test vacuum tubes for television under the images
category.....and sure enough..there was a photo of the exact stand that He was talking about.

It took us to a page that was  a really a TRIP down memory lane for some people. Under that particular photo on the page it said!!


Being sent to the drugstore to test
the vacuum tubes for the family TV?


 

Wow..pretty darn eerie, just like the Office Man said..
And this page has lots of little treasures if you want A blast from The Past, or even if you are curious about the 1960s.
If you continue to scroll down near the bottom it leads you to ads from the past like Pepsodent for example with a picture of Bob Hope. You can listen to the radio broadcast of these ads.

We went back to the google page and clicked on another drawing  of the stand in the drug store. This took us to a really fun article  by Gene Gable.
There are many retro drawings from the 50s included in this amusing story.
He spent a great deal of his childhood watching his dad try to fix the television.
He said much had changed from his Dad's days,
but the cursing is about equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment