Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Story begins with noticing yellow Tipped Tails

What are those birds with the yellow tipped tails?
Last Saturday we were taking a little walk in the neighbourhood.
I didn't bring the office camera with us.
We sometimes walk past trees with lots of bird action.
Sometimes we know why and other times we really don't know why.
That day we heard lots of bird noise in a tree.
 I noted that it was a Juniper Tree.
It has berries that must be attracting the birds.
We saw many little birds fluttering around in the tree.
We assumed they were sparrows or something common.
I happened to look up and noticed yellow tipped tails and kind of yellow bellies.
I said "Hey...they have yellow tipped tails"
as we were walking away from the tree.
The man from the office said
"They are probably some kind of finch because I saw yellow-like under bellies."
I said "hmmm, I have never seen that before."
He said "Well you have never stood under them."
I said "hmm, I think the yellow tip was not just on the underside."
Now, the Man from the Office never saw what I saw.
I said "I am going to google images for yellow tipped tailed birds when we get back"
Of course when we got back to the office,
 I had completely forgotten and didn't get to it until later that day.
First I looked at our flash cards which the Man from the Office had suggested.
I screamed out.
"YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS, BUT THE ONLY YELLOW TIPPED BIRD HERE
Now this is an in-joke, because one day in the early fall,
 I was convinced I saw a Bohemian Waxwing
(which are rare and not usually seen if not winter in this area)
 at our feeder, but in retro spec, it was probably  a female cardinal.
The Man from the Office started laughing and said
"I am sure there are other birds with yellow tipped tails
and they did not have tufts on their head."
I checked out google and the only bird tail that matched what I saw was this bird.
I said "We really didn't check them out closely enough to be sure they didn't have crowns."
I am going to go back there and find out.
So Sunday, I drove by there, but there was nothing doing at that Juniper Tree.

Yesterday morning, I decided to walk over before we had some other things to do,
and I came across the Pileated Woodpecker. That was way too much excitement for me,
and my hands were now bitter cold from taking pictures without my gloves.
After he flew off, I continued to walk to that Juniper Tree and heard and saw ACTION.
I had brought the binoculars and sure enough there was a HUGE FLOCK of
cedar waxwings in the area sitting high in a tree, etc.
There were actually two juniper trees and the more vigorous action had moved to the
other juniper tree. There were many many robins too.
They were all feasting. "Breakfast at Goddards"
The trouble was, It was rather dull out.
 I only had so much time, so felt rushed.
My hands were cold.
It was hard to see where to zoom into in one large mass of Juniper tree.
These little cedar waxwings were flighty
and every time I finally had a good view of one through the camera,
it flew out of my view as I snapped it.
I even came back later
and sent the man from the Office to take a look when he could.
He pretended not to believe me.
I wanted him to see the tufts for himself,
because I couldn't seem to get them well in a shot.

2 comments:

  1. Woody and his family must be invading the neighbourhood. Saw two piliated woodpeckers on Stafford the other morning, and one in Burnett Woods happily knocking holes in almost dead tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lorraine,
    Were the Pileated Woodpeckers males or females?

    See the link below for comparisons.

    http://www.50birds.com/givorypileatedcompare.htm

    ReplyDelete