Saturday, October 16, 2010

OOOOPS.....I better Plant My Bulbs Today.....
 and Sprinkle the Soil with HEN MANURE????
I have to stop this blogging thing (for now anyway) and start digging and plant those bulbs before I miss that window of opportunity in Toronto....
We are in zone 5 or 6 depending on who you ask. I am all equipped with my bulb planter and my chicken wire. When I went to Sheridan however, they suggested Hen Manure to sprinkle over the bulbs and supposedly the squirrels hate that. They sounded so convincing but it sounds way too easy of a solution.  Do any of you have any experience with this? I really don't want to waste all my efforts in planting, but on the other hand, I would really prefer not to use chicken wire. I know I can also deter the squirrels by continuing to feed them nuts throughout fall and winter and spring. The birds are only too happy to drop them onto the ground for them.
There turned into a little upsetting saga.which I hope to keep you updated on soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment